Value Betting Explained – How to beat the bookies at football

In the world of sports betting, value betting stands as one of the most sought-after strategies for long-term profitability. However, uncovering the added value within a set of odds is a challenging endeavor. Online bookmakers have honed their skills in balancing these odds, giving them a theoretical advantage when it comes to estimating the likelihood of sports outcomes and predicting where the majority of punters will place their bets.

What exactly is a “value bet” from a punter’s perspective? It’s a bet that holds inherent value, indicating that the punter believes the chances of a particular team winning are higher than the odds offered by the bookmaker.

Value betting, unlike other forms of gambling such as cards or roulette, thrives on the absence of exact statistical probabilities for each outcome. In sports betting, particularly in team sports, factors like player performance, referees, and weather conditions can heavily influence the final result. This complexity makes it impossible to precisely set the correct odds for football, basketball, or tennis matches.

So, how can you uncover these elusive football value bets? Bookmakers themselves cannot predict match outcomes without a margin of error. They price their odds based on their estimations, leaving room for potential value to be discovered.

To excel in value betting, there are a few key steps you should follow:

1. Regularly Review Your Assessments Developing an eye for betting value requires constant evaluation. Regularly review your assessments, keeping them up-to-date and aligned with the latest information and trends in the sports world.

2. Be Persistent Success in betting is closely tied to finding value bets and staying committed to your betting strategy. Even if the outcome may initially seem improbable, don’t give up. Persistence can often lead to uncovering hidden value.

Now, you might wonder how bookmakers manage to maintain a steady profit despite the possibility of value bets. They offer their odds based on several criteria, similar to those considered by punters before placing their bets. These criteria include team strengths, previous meetings, recent form, head-to-head results, injuries and suspensions, possible insider information, and market fluctuations. Bookmakers essentially provide prices that reflect the true odds but are susceptible to human error, occasionally resulting in significant pricing mistakes.

However, don’t expect bookmaker errors to be frequent or easily identifiable. They are relatively rare, but astute bettors can take advantage of them in fixed odds sports betting. To do so successfully, you need two essential elements:

Thorough Knowledge of the Sport and Betting Markets

Having a deep understanding of the sport, the league, and the betting markets is vital. This knowledge empowers you to recognize when odds are mispriced and identify potential value bets. Additionally, familiarize yourself with how bookmakers set their odds, as this insight can provide a competitive edge.

Choosing the Best Bookmakers for Value Betting

Various methods exist for gaining a better understanding of sports betting. Some punters adopt mathematical approaches and utilize rating systems based on past performances to predict future outcomes.

Others dedicate hours each week to studying sports journals and websites, gathering extensive information about specific events, including weather conditions, player injuries, and team morale. Alternatively, some punters focus solely on analyzing bookmakers’ odds. However, it’s important to acknowledge that no punter can be entirely certain that their odds are more accurate than those set by the bookmaker.

  1. Understanding the Value Bet Formula:

To calculate a value bet, one of the most commonly used formulas is as follows:

Value = (Probability * Decimal Odds) – 1

For instance, let’s consider a 2-way tennis match between two equally skilled players, each having a 50% chance of winning. If a bookmaker offers odds of 2.10 on one player, we can determine if it’s a value bet using the formula:

(50% * 2.10) – 1 = 1.05 – 1 = 0.05

  1. Alternative Approach: Calculating Probability for Value Bets:

Some punters prefer calculating value bets using the probability of chances, employing the following formula:

Probability = 1 / Decimal Odds

In the aforementioned tennis example, if the odds are 2.10, the probability would be:

1 / 2.10 = 0.4762 or 47.62%

It’s crucial that our estimated chances percentage exceeds the probabilities represented by the odds. The greater the difference between the two, the more profitable the value bet becomes.

  1. Challenging Bookmakers’ Estimations through Value Betting:

A punter who focuses on value betting essentially challenges the bookmaker’s estimations regarding the offered odds. By identifying potential mistakes made by bookmakers, the punter can discover value bets.

Although bookmakers possess experience, knowledge, and advanced software tools, punters have an advantage in narrowing down their choices. While bookmakers handle thousands of odds sets daily, punters can concentrate on a select few matches.

  1. The Complexity of Identifying Value Bets:

Identifying value in a specific set of odds is a highly intricate process. There are no exact rules, but various theories, statistical analyses, and mathematical formulas can guide punters. The key lies in understanding value betting, as it enhances the chances of making successful picks.

  1. Explaining Value Bets with an Example:

Let’s assume a punter estimates that Team A has a 70% chance of winning, with a 15% chance for Team B and a 15% chance of a draw. Based on these estimations, fair odds would be 1.43 for Team A and 6.67 for Team B.

If the match were to be replayed 100 times, betting on Team A would be successful 70 times but result in a 4.5% loss overall. However, betting on Team B would be successful only 15 times, yet yield a 12.5% profit. Therefore, the value bet lies in backing Team B, despite their lower initial chances of winning.

  1. Setting Your Own Odds to Identify Value Bets:

One effective method of finding value bets is by comparing your own calculated odds to those offered by bookmakers. This process allows you to refine your skills in estimating the same parameters bookmakers use daily.

Initially, you may encounter significant differences in your odds compared to the bookmakers’. It’s advisable to respect the bookmakers’ view at first, given their experience. However, setting your own odds encourages you to think in terms of probabilities.

Analyzing the outcomes based on your odds helps you pit your betting skills against experienced bookmakers, such as 1xBet. Although it may take time to become proficient, the effort is undoubtedly worthwhile.

  1. Accepting Marginal Profits and Betting on Better Odds:

It’s important to note that you may rarely find exact odds that align with your preferences. However, the objective is to seek even marginal profits. Your own odds represent what you would personally consider a suitable betting opportunity, devoid of arbitrariness.

If the bookmaker’s odds differ from your prediction, you should back the team offered at better odds than your own estimation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Best Bookmakers

Bonus up to:  €100. Minimum deposit 1.


Sport Bet: Get 100% match bonus up to $100 + 100 bets


Get €5000 Bonus. N1Bet €5 No Deposit Bonus


Place 4 x $10 or more bets to receive $25 in free bets


Space Bet: Bet £5 & Get £45. Min Deposit: £5

© Copyright 2024 |